Re: [ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 12:05:37AM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
[...]
> The only technical difference between creating xyz.com and creating a new TLD
> .xyz are:
>
> 	where you put the pointer to it, in records for .com or in the root
> 	whether people can find it directly from the root or root->.com->.xyz.com
>
> So there is no technical reason we cannot create new TLDs as fast as we are
> currently creating .com domains.

Right.  But .com is popular, and sld registries are not.  Moreover,
other TLDs are not popular -- people constantly forget that there are
240 odd other TLDs out there.

That is, the popularity of .com is a sociological phenomenon.  There is
no guarantee whatsoever that new TLDs will lessen the popularity of
.com -- in fact they might have exactly the reverse effect, and make
.com even more desirable.

Thus, the argument that there is an "artificial scarcity" that would be
relieved if only there were more TLDs is completely unsubstantiated.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be