RE: [ga] ICANN benefits

>No, this is not correct.  ICANN does not have that authority.  ICANN
>can only implement what are explicitly described in the NSI contract as
>"consensus policies", and there are a strict set of standards defining
>what "consensus policies" are.

ICANN developed the contracts themselves and, according to you, they also
did all the planning and manage the system.  Now you are trying to say that
they are somehow not responsible for it.

As for the definition of "consensus policies," the ICANN legal staff decides
on an ad hoc basis what the standards for such a policy is.  In the case of
trailing hyphen domains it took ICANN less than 2 days.  Roberts did an
interview saying the domains cause problems with intellectual property.
When the official statement came out the reasons had changed somewhat to
focus on  technical issues and how some client software would not work.  (Of
course the same was true with long domain names that were released right
about the same time).

What it comes down to is that if you tell someone that you cannot perform X
task automatically because the WHOIS are all different depending on which
registrar then they ask "why hasn't ICANN done that... when they already set
up a UDRP process?"  I guess I can point them to the postings of Crispin and
Crocker where they explain how stupid they are for thinking such a thing.

In any case, I have had enough of this list as it is pretty much useless
banter that will go on for years and years.

Russ Smith
http://consumer.net