RE: [ga] serious participation in ICANN processes

Jefsey:

I can understand your frustration with all the discussions about
California Law and the APA.  However, since ICANN is, in fact, a US
corporation that has its incorporation in California, it is extremely
relevant.  As a matter of fact, it is this very fact that has caused
so much consternation.  It is just a small CA corporation and is
acting like a world governing body.  The CA law is quite strict,
actually, regarding membership for this type of entity and that could
actually be important for anyone who desires to pursue it.
International law would have no control in this case.

As for the APA, that is also a US situation.  Please consider that it
was precisely to avoid the APA that ICANN was established.  This
was stated at the Congressional hearing on February 8, by
Representative Pickering.  Since the Department of Commerce is
actually the authority for com/net/org and the USG rootzone, it is
especially crucial that they be brought to task under the APA.

I has always been my contention that the DoC should not be able
to wriggle out of adhering to the APA, yet they claim it does not
apply to these issues.

If this list were to ignore the fact that both US federal and state
laws apply to ICANN and DoC and that these entities must be held
to the laws that govern them, we may as well end the discussions.
It is the agreement (MOU) between ICANN and the DoC that create
the framework under which they operate.

I would also agree, however, that aside from any legal issues
surrounding ICANN/Doc, this list is for those who are trying to work
within the framework of the ICANN bylaws and are attempting
valiantly to have a voice.  It's all relevant, Jefsey, IMO.

Leah