RE: [ga] FW: [registrars] Tucows' Privacy Initiative

Eric,

Thanks for the note.

> We are often told that this list is useless and only deals in
> trivia and minutiae, Why did you take the
> obviously open and transparent tact of posting here and opening
> your self up to professional protagaonists and
> antogonists.  Our own board chose not to do the same open and
> transparent act, why did you?

We're an Internet company going back to '93. Would you rather that I hold a
town hall meeting? ;) Seriously, we have a long history of using mechanisms
such as these to increase communication and awareness on isssues like this.
For an example, you can view our channel discussion archives at
http://www.opensrs.org/archives/discuss-list/index.shtml

These propositions stand on their own. Unless the ICANN community and the
larger Internet community have an awareness and input on them, there is no
hope that they will be adopted. This list is one forum by which we can
attempt to raise awareness on this particular issue.

> And second, didn't the Ip guys do the anti-privacy thing and how
> can you possibly defeat their right to know
> who to sue?

Our proposition solely deals with the issue of bulk whois and what
information goes into this list. Regular whois is not an item for discussion
under our proposal. As such, n one's ability to query the database is
remotely affected. The fact sheet I forwarded yesterday has more information
on this particular question.

-rwr