Re: [ga] Final Statement

On Wednesday, April 04, 2001 7:14 PM (AEST)
Joop Teernstra <terastra@terabytz.co.nz> wrote:
Subject: Re: [ga] withdrawal of candidacy

> I feel that this is unfair to the other candidates. Danny has pledged that
> he will work as the GA's humble servant. If he is elected, it is up to the
> GA members to make proposals, motions, seconds and he will be the one who
> makes sure that the will of the GA is given expression.

I make the same pledge.  You understood that when you nomnated me.

> With regards to his current employment: unless I am very much wrong in my
> judgement of character, I think this is even less relevant than Karl A.'s
> employment as a Cisco engineer.

Agreed.  Danny's employment is not relevant as long as it's known.

> We have heard opinions from both candidates. Especially Patrick has told us
> what he thinks about opening up to the TLD community.

My view is that ICANN's charter is not to "fracture the internet".

>  However, they are not standing as our representatives on the NC, but for
> the role of Chair, which means that once elected they will have to go slow
> on their personal opinions and enlarge their ear for the opinions that they
> hear in the GA.

As I've said before, my personal opinions are participatory and inclusive.

On the Board of auDA      .au ccTLD, AUNIC registry
My own business              business
Sell domain names             registration service provider
Personal holder                  individual
On Board of TLDA            alternate TLDs
Member "at large"              ICANN supporter
Member GA                        consultative

The only real omission is the IP constituency.  I support UDRP but think it most
properly applies to use of the domain name in a manner which diminishes the
trade or service mark.

I also believe in transparency and openness in an election process.  The
electors are then in the best position to decide for themselves.  I will respect
their judgement and thank them for partipating..

I have made my position plain and do not intend to comment further.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss