Re[2]: [ga] No Members?

Hello Thomas,

Wednesday, April 04, 2001, 1:17:37 PM, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2001-04-04 11:42:39 -0800, Eric Dierker wrote:

>> We are spending big money studying the At Large. This directly
>> ties into boardsquatter issues. Some Congressmen are extremely
>> interested in it. At least one two outside groups are funding
>> their own research into it. It is supposedly how we elect the
>> people who approve contracts with the USG and Versign.

> Indeed.  But does this mean that the California code's notion of
> membership with a non-profit organization is the best way to create
> an at large membership?  Does it mean that it's reasonable to give
> these rights to an at large membership?

> Frankly, I'm not sure whether or not it would be healthy for ICANN
> to have an at large membership with all the rights of statutory
> members.  However, I'm quite sure that an at large membership which
> elects members of the board and creates additional accountability
> for the board would be quite helpful to the net at large.

> So, please, let's get away from the legal battle on whether or not
> ICANN successfully managed to avoid a statutory membership. Instead,
> let's look at what kind of at large membership would be helpful,
> healthy and reasonable for ICANN.

If the mechanism being discussed does in fact hold that the At Large
members are statutory members, under the California law, that gives a
clear and direct mechanism for the dismantling of ICANN's "Top down"
structure that they have worked so hard to hide under an illusion of
"bottom up" consensus.

I think such an exercise would certainly be helpful.   The ICANN board
has shown that unless and until it is FORCED to reform or making
appropriate changes, it will not do so.  The only way to force ICANN
to actually listen to the internet community, instead of it's
corporate/IP and government puppetmasters, may be to bring it in front
of a judge, and this provision provides the mechanism for doing so.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com