Re: [ga] Re: Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

On 2001-04-03 18:01:35 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> I still think that to be able to run (and now without time
> constraints and/or other future limitations) the Registry and the
> Registrar for the major generic TLD *is* giving to VeriSign
> unfair competitive edge. As I said, the matter may now be moot,
> but IMHO we have just witnessed the formalization of a change in
> policy by ICANN.

Indeed.  Let me, once again, pull out my favorite Kraaijenbrink
quote on IOD's .web from Marina del Rey:

        "IOD goes against everything we ve worked on the last two
	years they join registrar and registry, and they have a high
	price."

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive/scribe-icann-111600.html

Now, if "all we've worked on the last two years" isn't as valuable
and important as an explicit policy, I really don't know what is.

I suppose the lesson learned is that nobody should make any implicit
assumptions even about basic ICANN principles, ever.

--
Thomas Roessler			    <roessler@does-not-exist.org>