Re: [ga] "newbies"

Sotiris,

As midnight is approaching over here, I will dedicate my fifth and last of
the day to comment your post.

>It has been brought to my attention that I have erred with my appraisal of
>the duration of WXW's participation in ICANN.  Well, let me just say that
>over the years, I have been more of an observer than participant, mostly
>because I was busy trying to learn all I could about the issues and the
>matters involved in ICANN and its formation. I hope that's OK with all of
>you?  But, if you were to search some of the past forum boards, you will
>find my name, just like you do for the Boston Meeting in '98.  I've not
>been on many of the previous MLs as I preferred to take an outsider's look
>in.   Not everyone speaks up who watches... this List is good evidence of
>that.  To be honest, I came forward into the "limelight" so
>to speak, after years of "doing my homework" because the disgust I felt
>drove me to do so.  So, I may not have crossed paths with Mr. Walsh... I do
>not recall having done so, just as I've never heard of many of you till
>now.

Let's be clear: without "newbies" this list will continue to hash the same
subjects with the same people and become greatly irrelevant in the global
picture.
Welcome to the "newbies": you must be proud of having been able to join this
debate and cope with the sometimes overheated discussion, and rejected the
temptation to leave.

But we must understand that there is a balance that we must find in the
understanding of eachother's point of view.
The "newbies" should understand that there's respect in the community for
people that have already given, and the "oldies but goldies" should be
humble enough not to dismiss the newcomers.

As to look for the participants list in meeting, two warnings.
First, participation to a physical meeting or to a particular list may not
be indicative of a particular engagement. I know people that attended each
and every ICANN meeting, and I bet will be unable to tell what was going on,
and people that are very well informed, and contributing positively, but
attended only the few meetings that were at their reach (geographically,
economically, or timewise).
Second, most of the so called "participants lists" do not list the
attendees, but the people who registered in advance. You may see Jeff
Williams registered for most ICANN meetings, but nobody ever saw him.

Good night.
Roberto