Re[2]: [ga] Draft Resolution

Hello Dassa,

Saturday, March 17, 2001, 8:48:20 PM, Dassa wrote:

|>> That is illegal in the US. The only reason they did it with NSI is because
|>> they were a government contractor.

> There are always ways around such things.  Nor do I hold with the Internet
> infrastructure being bound by US law.

Actually it MUST be bound by US law, simply because of the history and
our laws.  The role the USG has played and our laws that govern those
issues, must be the driving factors.  ICANN it bound by those simply
because it is a US based corporation, and the contracts that give it
what "power" it has are with the US Government.

> I assume you refer to the price fixing as
> being illegal.  I would not have any problem with it being competitive,
> providing the Registries were run on a non-profit basis by non-commercial
> entities.  This may be the best option, with ICANN setting a price cap and
> defining how the fees should be distributed.  The Registries could still use
> price as a competitive option and as WX has pointed out, satisfy the need as
> some people see it for competition to drive innovation and development.  My main
> contention is that such infrastructure should not be in the hands of localised
> commercial interests.

Why not?

The infrastructure that IS the internet is privately owned by
commercial interests.

If those interests are not reacting to the market in the way that they
should, then others are free to innovate in a way that will.

This is why New.net has been as successful as they have of late.
ICANN was not aggressively solving the consumer demand for more
namespace.  As a result, New.net and their TLDs are now visible by
over 5% of internet users worldwide in their first month of business.

ICANN is now reacting to that pressure, by directing the president to
act on a fast track to get the negotiations for the 7 new TLDs
completed ASAP.

Competitive pressure is usually the best pressure that exists.

Without it, we get bureaucracy and red tape, and all of the many
things those bring with them.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com