Re: [ga] straw poll

I vote for (2).

Okay I am the oddball here but let me explain.

Have anyone take an a look "Guava Information Memo" distributed by Chase
on the behalf of Verisign on their proposal sales of their Registrar?

If you havent, please do so. I will try to give a simple summary here.
(For those who did read Guava, feel free to correct me.)

- Verisign created a new group called Verisign Web Presence (VWP)

- VWP, as read, will be the front-end providing Verisign
  registration services for domain names, digital certificate,
  dns hosting, web hosting, etc etc.

- Acquirer of NSI Registrar will have to entered strategic alliance
  relationship (read: probably exclusive) with VWP . Acquirer will
  perform the back-end interface with Registry as according to ICANN
  accredition.

- VWP promises at least 80% of the names they registered will go thru
  Acquirer. (Read: It is not exclusive on the part for VWP).

The implication?

- the existing names probably remains at VWP with all fronting
   customer care, services etc.

- Acquirer become middleman between VWP and Registry, so
   the only diff is in the margin made by Verisign.

In short, the 1999 contract screwed up and did not foresee a new
business called "reseller" which is what VWP is. There is nothing within
the 1999 contract which prevents this situation.

The new contract, while not as favourable as the principle of the 1999
contract, it is a more uniform inline with the new gTLD agreement and
hopefully will give one TLD per Registry.

No doubt Verisign is going to end up with .COM registry and .COM
registrar but that is no differences with this as compared to other new
gTLD. Sure, Verisign ends up with a very valuable asset .COM but on
the bright-side, it is getting saturated if not for ML.com.

-James Seng