[ga] Verisign Agreement
ICANN defers VeriSign decision
By Stephen Withers, ZDNet Australia
13 March 2001
The ICANN board today deferred its decision on the VeriSign agreement, as
foreshadowed by chairman Vint Cerf at yesterday's public forum.
The board instead resolved to finalise the matter in a conference call scheduled
for April 2, giving it time to receive and consider comments from the Domain
Name Support Organisation and other interested parties.
These comments can be lodged through ICANN's Web site or sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org until March 31.
The board's discussion today suggested the weight of opinion favours "Option B".
As happened at the public forum, most of the concerns expressed seemed to be
about due process, rather than either of the options facing the board.
"My view is that [Option B] is an improvement and a benefit," said Cerf, shortly
before he left the meeting prior to the close of business.
Following the discussion, Elliot Noss, president and CEO of registrar Tucows,
said "This deal [Option B] is much preferred to the previous deal," although
ICANN had missed "an opportunity to get concessions that would have been good
This message was passed to you via the email@example.com list.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe
("unsubscribe ga-full" in the body of the message).
Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html