Re: [ga] Re: [wg-review] 4. [GA] Comments

Leah and all remaining assembly members,

  I must agree with your conclusion unfortunately here Leah.  Given
that the current NC is no legitimate, and are well aware of this, it would
seem likely that any GA member input or participation in a constructive
manner would not be allowed or given any consideration....

JandL wrote:

> I concur with the recommendations.  After listening to the NC
> telecon, it appears that they will be reluctant to do anything
> requested by the GA, however.
>
> > Dear WG members and GA members,
> >
> > I'd like your comments on this before posting it to the TF review
> > report comments.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Greg
> > working chair, WG-Review

> > Comments on Section D, General Assembly
> >
> > Text:
> > -------
> > While the GA has extensive membership [GET EXACT NUMBERS]
> > -------
> > Comment: As of Mon 29 January 2001, 271 persons are registered in the
> > DNSO GA voting registry. Source:
> > http://www.dnso.org/secretariat/rosterindex.html
> >
> > Text:
> > -------
> > it appears to be handicapped by having no little participation or
> > authority. ------- Comments:
> >
> > 1. "no little" should be replaced with "little" - this appears to be a
> > typo. It would probably be more accurate to say that GA participation
> > is sporadic, depending on circumstances.
> >
> > 2. Thirteen WG-Review members responded to a poll on the Task Force
> > question "Is the GA properly defined?" Twelve answered "no", and one
> > didn't know. This perceived lack of definition probably contributes to
> > both the participation and authority issues. A better definition of
> > the GA will probably require changes to the ICANN bylaws.
> >
> > 3. The GA as a group appears to lack any authority whatsoever. It has
> > no mandated abilities beyond nominating ICANN BoD members.
> >
> > Text:
> > -------
> > How to address the current structural problems to enhance the GA
> > within the DNSO has received much discussion, and should be further
> > addressed. ------- Comments: *** 1. The ICANN Bylaws state that "the
> > NC shall elect the Chairman of the GA annually."
> >
> > As of February 1, 2001 the General Assembly lacks a chair, as Mr
> > Roberto Gaetano's term has expired. Mr. Gaetano brought this issue up
> > in November 2000 at the Marina Del Rey meetings, well in advance of
> > this circumstance. Mr Gaetano indicated at that time that he would be
> > willing to continue for a few months, and recommended that the bylaws
> > be amended to allow direct vote for the GA chair by the GA itself. On
> > January 30, 2001, Mr Gaetano wrote to the GA
> > (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00087.html):
> >
> > "...I have the impression that nothing moves, and that therefore we
> > may found ourselves at the next meeting at more or less the same
> > point."
> >
> > At this point in time, 10 weeeks later, it does not appear that the NC
> > has yet placed this item on it's agenda, or had substantive
> > discussions on the NC council list.
> > (http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010208.NCtelecon-agenda.html) Unless
> > this is addressed at the regularly-scheduled Names Council
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#