Fw: [ga] Re: [voters] Agenda suggestions for the next NC teleconferences

 hello dennis...

 below is the exerpt of the section of the by-laws regarding constituancy
 formation:
 "d) Any group of individuals or entities may petition the Board for
 recognition as a new or separate Constituency. Any such petition will
    be posted for public comment pursuant to Article III, Section 3. The
 Board may create new Constituencies in response to such a
    petition, or on its own motion, if it determines that such action would
 serve the purposes of the Corporation. In the event the Board is
    considering acting on its own motion it shall post a detailed
explanation
 of why such action is necessary or desirable, set a reasonable
    time for public comment, and not make a final decision on whether to
 create such new Constituency until after reviewing all comments
    received. Whenever the Board posts a petition or recommendation for a
new
 Constituency for public comment, it will notify the names
    council and will consider any response to that notification prior to
 taking action. "

 I do not find in the current by-laws any authority or direction for the
 names council to be involved in the formation process of any constituancy
 but rather a directive that the process be one of self-organization by any
 prospective group. it would appear by my reading that this process if
 handled directly thru the ICANN board and that recognition is facilitated
by
 interaction between the board & the proposing constituancy group.

 i do not understand why you or any prospective member of an individual
 constituancy would want the names council involved in facilitating this
 formation process. further, it would seem to me that the names council
would
 be out-of-bounds here to involve itself as a formal body in this process
 unless directed to by the board and specifically requested to by the
 self-organized body.

 it would seem more appropriate to me that this self-formation process be
 managed and facilitated by the parties who are seeking constituancy status
 rather than members of other constituancies which are currently represented
 on the names
 council. this would avoid any future criticism of "micro-managing" or
 "manipulation" of this constituancy formation process.

 respectfully submitted

 ken stubbs