Re: [ga] Text of Radio Ad which will start running nationwide on 7/7/2000

Harald and all assembly members,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 22:37 28.06.2000 -0400, Yingwei Wang wrote:
> >Voting rules are important, we should talk about them, but we should talk
> >about domain names, too. Did anyone suggest a proposal about domain names?
>
> the reason to have voting rules is to be able to say something in an
> organized fashion about domain names. This is the *DNSO* GA, after all.

  Unfortunately as has been documented in February and March, that the
DNSO GA list, this mailing list and you Harald, have been engaged
in fraudulent practices in which a large number of previous DNSO GA
members left on mass, as you know.  Hence leaving the DNSO is a
poor state of affairs.

> >Can anyone tell me why you think ADNS will not succeed?
>
> My take on ADNS, and any other current "alternative" root, is that it will
> not succeed because nobody in his right mind will use a domain registered
> solely with them in the target address of anything that they hope to make
> money from; the customer base from any current .Z website is only the
> minuscule fraction of the Internet users that have retargeted their
> nameservers.

  Again as you also know and have been repeatedly told and the IANA/ICANN
have also been shown specifically, that this is not the necessary scenario
which you are trying to paint.  Shared Root technology or SROOTS as
well as using multicasting and some minor changes to Bind 9 which my
amongst other organizations have made and tested and also reported
to this group allow for other Root structures to be a reality.  The
fact that ICANN would not necessarily be in control of these other
Root server structures is a matter of political policy from ICANN
and not necessarily, almost assuredly not the will of the majority
stakeholders.  But of course, you already know this, yet continue to
deny it publicly.

> Cutting off 99.5% of your target audience is not something very many
> business people are particularly fond of.

Again more dribble or FUD.  Not very productive Harald.

> That's why so many people who dislike ICANN so intensely haven't left the
> party yet - it's the organization controlling the *present* set of root
> nameservers.

  Most that have not left only stick around to monitor ICANN's activities
more closely so as to insure ICANN doesn't continue to mislead those
that are not yet aware so as to keep them in check.  Unfortunately this
is or has become necessary to some degree due to ICANN's own
unpopular and questionable policy making without stakeholder
approval.

>                           Harald A
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#