RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

A few comments, if you please;
1) small groups beget simple rules. Polling/consensus is
appropriate.
2) medium-sized groups need more complex rules. Votng is
introduced.
3) large groups absolutely need formal rules, with fully
transparent accountability.

The problem is that the group size changes. Hopefully, the group
grows.

Another problem is credibility. Accusations of electorial fraud
is proportional to the complexity of the voting system. Even
simple systems need to be defensible. Weighted voting rules are
allways susceptible to challenge. KISS is a basic defense aid
here. With due respect to messr. Froomkin, his proposal is too
complex, with inadequate audit-trail.

After four years, in this activity, watching various startup
organizations, I think that the following requirements can be
derived, for a voting/polling system.

1) The actual voting system needs to be simple, with both email
and web-based interfaces.
2) The number of issues, per voting event, needs to be few and
controlled.
3) Voting events need to be strictly periodic, no ad hoc voting
events. (min. 90-day periods)
4) All voters need to be absolutely authenticated, within the
system.
5) Churn needs to be minimized.
6) Each registered voter gets exactly one vote.

Failure to meet all of the above requirements has been shown to
lead to failure/disruption. No organization,in this context, to
date, has ever met all of these requirements. All such nacent
organizations have failed and/or continue to fail (including
failure to grow).

A major issue, in some organizations, has been item 2. The has
always been an abundance of votable issues. The prioritization
mechanism that determines which of these issues get on the ballot
has usually been over-looked, or has been a target for those
attempting to gain control over the organization (capture). This
is usually the weakest point of defense. My answer to this is
polling. Post the candidate issues, FCFS, and let participants
indicate a priority preference. The top X number of issues make
it on the next ballot round. Once disposed of by formal vote, it
is moved to the bottom of the issues list and marked as
"disposed". No issues should magically disappear from the issues
list. Periodically, all disposed issues should be moved to an
archive. All data should be kept in perpetuity.

What I am proposing here is a simple auditable voting mechanism
that is fed by a polling mechanism which is also auditable. It
also satisfies desires for both static and dynamic opinion
gathering and it is do-able with current technology. No limits
and no weighting, simple majority for most issues. Rule changes
and financial issues require 2/3 majority of those voting.

This is only my opinion, FWIW.

Harald
> Tveit Alvestrand
> Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 5:11 AM
> To: ga@dnso.org
> Subject: [ga] Voting rules, take 4
>

> Based on the discussion of version 0.4, here's what I propose
> as final text.
-------
> VOTING RULES FOR THE DNSO GA
> Version 0.5
>
> These are the rules for voting in the General assembly.
>
> - A vote begins when the Chair approves a ballot.
> A ballot consists of one or more questions, each of which has
> two or more
> mutually exclusive answers.
> The ballot is sent to the registered GA voters by the
secretariat.
> - The typical amount of time given to reply to a vote is one
week.
> - Each voter can cast one vote for one alternative per
question.