[Fwd: [ga-full] RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4]

I think STV should be available for votes with multiple alternatives.
Otherwise the system is (a) manipulable; (b) interminable.
                -->   It's hot there.   I'm elsewhere.   <--

A few comments:

1. It seems like one week may be a little short for the amount of time to
vote.  If someone is away from email for a week, they miss the vote.  A
couple weeks would seem more reasonable especially in an international
setting.  It doesn't seem necessary to rush this.  Also, two weeks would
allow more time to deal with email glitches that might delay mail delivery.

2. Reasonable advance notice of upcoming votes should be given; a minimum of
two weeks advance notice would probably work.  Advance notice could simply
involve an estimated time when a vote is anticipated because the exact date
when the ballot will be approved may not be known far enough ahead of time.
For example, a notice could say something like this: "A vote regarding GA
opinion regarding Names Council proposal A is anticipated in two to three
weeks from the date of this message."

3. Because the DNSO is supposed to be a consensus-building organization, I
would consider modifying the third rule as follows: "In the case of a choice
between multiple alternatives, the alternative with the most votes over 50%
of those cast wins.  If no choice receives more than 50%, there is no
winner."

4. I think rule 4 should be worded like this: "In the case of selecting N
candidates from a slate of M, with M > N, the N top candidates win."  In
other words, when selecting 4 candidates from a slate of 10, the top 4 win.
An important question to answer in this type of situation is this: "How many
votes does each member get and can they use all their votes for one
candidate?"

Chuck Gomes