[ga-full] Re: ICANN's ccTLD Tax - get's bumped FWD "Financial support for ICANN"

Joe, Mike Roberts, Mike Lawrie and all,

  First let me thank Joe Baptista for forwarding this to everyone.
It is indeed a service that it seems that the ICANN Board hasn't
seen fit to provide all of the stakeholders or participants in these
discussions.  Mike Roberts, not withstanding.
(More comments on Mike Roberts comments below)

!Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:

> ----- Forwarded
>
> From: Mike Roberts <roberts@icann.org>
> Subject: [IOZ] Re: Financial Support for ICANN
> To: Mike Lawrie <mlawrie@apies.frd.ac.za>
> CC: IOZ List <ioz@internet.org.za>
>
> Mike - Nice to hear from you.  I gather that .za has lots of changes
> ahead of it in the near future. If we can be of assistance, please
> let me know.

  I am sure that any assistance that you could provide Mike, would
be your hand in their pocket.  Of course, this is a very nice way of
greasing the palms to get those $$, eh?  >;)

> As the largest ccTLD in Africa, and the recent host of the meetings
> regarding AFRINIC, etc., we appreciate the leadership you are
> providing for the Internet in your part of the world.

  Good to hear this Mike.  Maybe you could provide additional
financial support for their efforts and expand the stakeholder base
in that process?  No? Well of course not, you are looking to
RECEIVE $$ from AFRINIC, right?  >;)  Nice way to show
your appreciation I must say.  Many of our African members
[INEGRoup] have expressed a concern in this regard to me
and our directors.  Hopefully you will take notice.

> Even though the process leading to the creation of ICANN has been
> going on for several years and has involved extensive consultation
> with all parties, I can understand that the complexity of our
> organizations might result in some misunderstandings.

  No misunderstanding at all Mike, in fact you make a statement here
that is categorically untrue.  ICANN has NOT been involved in
consultations with many groups, not to mention "Extensive".  Documented
history shows this quite clearly in the ICANN's own E-Mail list
archives.

> Let me make a
> few comments about your text below in the interests of clarity and
> improved communication.

  Now comes the SPIN!

> (1) ICANN has been created to assume responsibility for policy
> development and administration of a number of technical management
> responsibilities associated with Internet domain names and addresses
> and protocols.  We are not a service organization except to the minor
> extent required by administration of our policy responsibilities.

  Mike Roberts left out quite a bit here.  Indeed ICANN is in part
a service organization as their bylaws, the DOC/NTIA/ICANN
White Paper, and the MoU clearly point out.  However as has also
been well documented, the ICANN Board has not owned up to it's
responsibilities and has on occasion engaged in attempted fraudulent
activities with the DNSO (Domain Name Supporting Organization)
I invite you Mike Lawrie to review the DNSO GA list archives
closely for predacious documentation that clearly shows this form
many DNSO Assembly members and former DNSO Assembly members.
See: http://www.dnso.org/archives.html for further details...

> (2) The financial structure of ICANN is based on proportionate
> contributions to our policy making activities from registries and
> registrars - gTLDs, ccTLDs and Address Registries.  The current
> contribution shares were worked out last year by a task force
> composed of members of the registries and registrars.  They were
> publicly discussed and adopted by the ICANN Board last November.  If
> you have questions about how the process worked, and what the
> detailed recommendations of the task force about funding were, the
> report is easily accessible on our web site at
> <http:www.icann.org/tff/final-report-draft-30oct99.htm>

  This link only provides the ICANN Boards version of how this was
done.

> (3) The benefit of supporting ICANN fundamentally lies in the premise
> that the Internet community and more particularly those organizations
> and individuals who are directly involved with domain names and
> addresses wish to take responsibility for self-rgulation of this
> important area of activity. What the US government previously
> sponsored Jon Postel to do is now the responsibility of the
> community, including the responsibility to fund the expenses
> necessary to carry out ICANN's mission.

  Indeed.  And Jon Postel was admonished on several occasions
for some of his misguided practices.  The ICANN Board, most
especially a few of it's members have engaged in false statements
in front of our own US Congress and are again under investigation
for questionable practices in it's fiduciary activities presently.

> I hope that you will agree with me that it is in the interest of .za
> to continue to carry forward the public trust relationship it has had
> with IANA, even though this now requires a funding commitment to
> ICANN.

  This is where the shorts start to get a little tight.  The cross roads
of whether .ZA wishes to assist ICANN in funding is a tricky
one.  I would recommend that any funding be earmarked for specific
purposes at this juncture and based upon community consensus
of ICANN's performance.

> (4) A number of ccTLDs have suggested that there may be a formula for
> allocating the $1.5 million share of our current year expense which
> the funding task force allocated to the ccTLDs in a more equitable
> manner than the gTLD formula used in calculating your invoice.  I'd
> like to emphasize that ICANN remains open to the use of such an
> alternative formula, provided that it is broadly supported in the
> ccTLD community and can be applied in an equitable manner to all
> ccTLD organizations.

  In other words, it is their way or the hiway...

> [...]
>  >>  ccTLD/IANA Relationship. In addition to budget support issues, many ccTLD
>  >>  administrators are concerned about their continuing relationship with the
>  >>  Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), now that ICANN has been formed
>  >>  in accordance with the U.S. Government's decision to transfer technical
>  >>  management of the DNS to the private sector.  At the present time,
> ICANN is
>  >>  continuing the past policies of Jon Postel in administering ccTLDs and has
>  >>  published a policy statement, ICP-1, which incorporates the major
>  >>  administrative practices of IANA as they were being carried out
> immediately
>  >>  prior to the creation of ICANN.
>  >>
>  >>  While these informal arrangements generally worked well in the past, the
>  >>  evolution of the Internet has made it necessary to consider a more formal
>  >>  legal framework in which ccTLDs operate.  Indeed, the United States
>  >>  Government has indicated that appropriate formal legal relationships
>  >>  respecting ccTLDs must be established before it will complete the
> transition
>  >>  to private-sector technical management of the DNS.  At ICANN's meeting in
>  >>  Cairo in March, various proposals for a legal framework for ccTLDs were
>  >>  presented by groups of ccTLD managers, the Government Advisory Committee,
>  >>  and others in the Internet community.  We expect that discussions of these
>  >>  proposals will continue through the 14-17 July ICANN meeting in Yokohama,
>  >>  where possible resolutions will be considered.  In the meantime, we would
>  >>  welcome any comments you might have on how to proceed in this area.
>  >>
>  >>  Next Steps. I realize that you may have a number of questions about the
>  >>  ICANN budget and your invoice. There is a substantial amount of
> information
>  >>  posted on our website, but please feel free to contact me at
>  >>  <roberts@icann.org> or at the phone or fax numbers on this letter. The
> Board
>  >>  and I appreciate your support, both financially and with our ongoing
> work as
>  >>  a community to build sensible policies and structures to promote the
> growth
>  >>  and stability of the Internet.
>  >>
>  >>  Sincerely,
>  >>
>  >>  Michael M. Roberts
>  >>  President and Chief Executive Officer
>  >>
> <snip>
>  >
>  >--
>  >Mike Lawrie,                               Phone: +27 12 481-4148
>  >Manager:UNINET,                            Fax:   +27 12 349-1179
>  >National Research Foundation,             <mlawrie@apies.frd.ac.za>
>  >P O Box 2600, Pretoria 0001 South Africa

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#