[ga-full] Single Letter Domains

To the General Assembly of the DNSO:

I have been directed to you by Mr. Michael Roberts, CEO of ICANN, regarding a change in the policy treatment of single-letter domains (e.g., the sale of said domains to the general public).

After reviewing the charters, by-laws and other documents of both ICANN and IANA, I see no precedent that would stand a legal test that would deny the sale of single-letter domains to the general public. Nor do I see a precedent that would stand a legal test that would disallow the sale of single-letter domains to the public. If I have missed such a precedent, please so advise.

Therefore, I would like to propose that the Names Council of the DNSO, as a supporting organization of ICANN with respect to policy issues related to the Domain Name System, propose to ICANN that the pre-existing IANA policy barring the sale of single-letter domains now being continued under ICANN management be struck down and, at the same time, that the domain "k.com" be the first such domain to be sold under the new policy to the undersigned.

Please be advised that, in the interest of the general public, I may issue a press statement next week to the effect that a change in this policy has been requested.

Thank you very much.

John C. Kaufman
-- This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list. Send mail to majordomo@dnso.org to unsubscribe ("unsubscribe ga-full" in the body of the message). Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html