Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:10:14 -0700
From: Karl Auerbach <karl@CAVEBEAR.COM>
To: DOMAIN-POLICY@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [announce] NCtelecon, 19 May 2000, results]

> > 50% came from the IP constituency. Majority vote. And they decided
> > fmaous marks deserevr protection. What a shock.

> ...  The products of
> working groups can *never* be considered as "community consensus"

Then what can be?  There is no part of icann in which the "community" can
gather to express an opinion - not the board, not the supporting
organizations, not the "constituencies", certainly not the
censured "general assembly".

The working groups are open to anybody who is interested.

They are the best forum for expression of points of view and reaching
answers.

For the names council or the ICANN board to secretly reach into unknown
places, talk to unknown people, and say that they have somehow found
consensus is the height of irresponsible hubris.

Let's be honest, the names council, like the ICANN board pulls "concensus"
out of one of its lower bodily orifaces.

(Actually in the case of the ICANN board, the "consensus" is declared by
its out-of-control "staff" and simply declared, by that staff" to be
endorsed.)

                --karl--