[ga-full] Re: Give it up, Please!! (fwd)

A censored communication of interest to all of us in tld's.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:11:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: pccf@pccf.net
To: <CENSORED>
Cc: PCCF@PCCF.NET
Subject: Re: Give it up, Please!!

Hello:

The article fails to mention the history of this tld.  It has been in use
since 1996 as a means of naming internal networks for the Ministry.  The
naming practice assigned whatever.god to good machines and whatever.satan
to machines that were buggy.  So we can't just drop it.

Also - I assure you that God does not mind.  We have had applications for
god domains from christian communities as well as from net kooks.  It's to
be expected.  I'm sorry that you have been offended by it.

Our position is not one of religion, although the church follows judeo
christian principles, the release of the domain is based on our opinion
that the internet domain infrastructure is language and as such all
words in the english (or other languages) should be available for public
use.

We also have another program were trying to promote which sets up family
values tlds.  It is possible to use the domain infrastructure to remove
offensive material via safe tlds which only allow for the registration of
non pornographic or other non-offensive sites.  Unfortunately the US
government is also blocking that effort.

I assure you that dot.god will go a long way to breaking the control of
the USG roots on domain naming conventions.  Example - we have been trying
to sell the idea of family values tlds for two years.  No one has ever
given press to those ideas - which we feel have great value to concerned
parents.  But we announce dot.god - and the whole world starts emailing
us for interviews.

It is unfortunate in our society that good ideas can be overlooked while
sensational or contraverial ideas like dot.god get all the fan fair.  All
I can assure you is that we will do our best to use the power of the god
tld to move the US governments spirit in the right direction and hopefully
do some good which everyone can benefit from.

Regards
Joe Baptista