[ga-full] Re: Not exactly. RE: [ga] Direct Evidence, as asked

At 08:46 PM 3/30/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

>Even if I were to give you that IANA HAD the authority at one point (which I
>don't believe by any stretch), NSF clearly took that authority
>away.  Since the
>NSF was not consulted and was not a party to whatever IANA was doing, the USG
>who does hold the authority is not under any obligation to IOD or any one else
>on this subject.

Jon apparently relinquished the IANA authority to NSF officially according
to George Strawn's testimony:

http://name.space.xs2.net/law/answers/NSF-Strawn.txt

 >> NSF's DIRECTIVE TO NSI REGARDING PGMEDIA's REQUEST FOR NEW gTLDs
 >>
 >> 45. Under the Cooperative Agreement and RFC 1591, NSI had no
 >> unilateral authority to register new gTLDs. NSI instead was required
 >> to consult with the LANA regarding any applications for new TLDs.
 >> PGMedia's request for the addition of hundreds of new gTLDs was
 >> initially forwarded by NSI to the IANA. Subsequently, I was infommed
 >> that by letter dated April 4, 1997, the IANA disavowed any authority
 >> to make a decision in response to the request. NSI then referred the
 >> question to NSF, which viewed IANA's disavowal as inconsistent with
 >> RFC 1591's requirement that applications for new TLDs be disposed
 >> of"with consultation with the IANA."

NSI was being sued by PGP Media/Name Space to include their gazillions of
TLDs in the root. Jon's involvement was as the IR delegating authority to
NSI (as documented in RFC1591, the co-op agreement, etc.). Jon relinquished
that authority to absolve IANA from that lawsuit. This allows IANA to
respond to the lawsuit with the following letter dated the same day:

See http://name.space.xs2.net/law/answers/letters/IANA-NSI0404.jpg

Best Regards,

Simon

--