[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP address holders - are they represented?

At 07:49 PM 3/15/00 , David R. Conrad wrote:
>Michael,
>
> > I know it's in the interests of IBM, MCI,& AT&T to put small
> > companies out of business, but is it in the interests of the RIRs?
>
>Sorry, I have _no_ interest in getting into yet another education effort on
>the implications of CIDR, address aggregation, provider based addressing, and
>why it is necessary.  I have been involved in and seen all the arguments and
>counter-arguments more times than I want to recall and have neither the time
>nor the interest in wading through it yet again.
>
>If this is something you are actually interested in (rather than using it as
>yet another rhetorical soapbox to bash ICANN), I suggest you start by reading
>the old IEPG and IETF CIDRD and ALE working group archives.  You might also
>check the APNIC and ARIN archives for the dicussions when they were
>established.  You will find much of the discussion repetitive -- as I
>indicated, this argument has been repeated _many_ times since people
>discovered that 32 bits was not infinite, but hopefully informative.
>
>The executive summary is: addresses are allocated the way they are because the
>folks who work at RIRs are interested in insuring the Internet continues to
>work.

Hi David,

What does this have to do with complaints
about ARIN's regressive pricing policies?

Or the huge @Home delegation?

These are questions of policy.

>If you do not believe this statement, go read the stuff I mentioned above.
>
> > I've wasted two years reading what ICANN writes or posts. Not a
> > single thing they've said has been put into practice, just the
> > opposite. They are professional con artists, whose sole interest is
> > to take as much power away from individuals as they can. The users
> > have been swept aside, the ISPs have been swept aside, and sooner or
> > later you, too, will be swept aside if you don't wise up.
>
>Hopefully, you'll someday learn that demonizing in this way does very little
>to help your credibility.

Deamonizing aside, Michael's
complaints are still accurate!

Jay.