[ga-full] Re: [ga] Older registrations

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:10:04AM -0800, Simon Higgs wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 3/20/00 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> > > You can say whatever you want. I'll stand by the
> > > historical facts:
> > >
> > > In 1995/1996, IANA solicited new iTLD requests under the guidelines laid
> >                      *********
> >Not fact.
>
> Semantics. When two out of four IANA employees tell others to go ahead and
> submit an application, and even go so far as to tell them how to go about
> that process, even informally, I'd call that something "semantically
> similar" to a solicitation.

You would be wrong.

> > > out in RFC1591. IANA received many new iTLD applications and published the
> > > results on the IAHC-discuss mailing list (archived at www.gtld-mou.org for
> > > some inexplicable reason).
> >
> >IANA published the collection of applications that people had sent in
> >over a substantial period of time, whether on whim
>
> Submissions started in response to this message from Jon Postel:
>
> http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1995q3/0233.html

That message says:

    Hi.

    The IANA is seriously considering the creation of a few new top
    level domains and the allocation of these to new registration
    service centers.  It is important to do this thoughtfully.  It will
    be helpful to carefully consider the criteria for selecting these
    new registration service centers and the requirements they should
    meet in providing the service.

    --jon.

This is a call for discussion of criteria, not a request for
applications.  This case is an excellent example of how people
willfully misread even the clearest text to support their position.

> Hardly a whim. And the period of time of submissions was exactly the length
> of time between the above message and the creation of the IAHC (when IANA
> published their list). This can be verified from the time stamps noted on
> the IANA list (9/14/95 through 11/28/96):
>
> http://www.gtld-mou.org/gtld-discuss/mail-archive/00990.html

Irrelevant.  The above quote from Postel was not a call for
applications.  Period.  It is not a "solicitation".  Period.  It
requires a complete and willfull disregard for the english language and
reality to construe it as a "solicitation".