[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] The Internet Daily: Fortune 500 ripe for cybersquatters-03/02/2000

Joe and all,

  There is not good reason that Antony Van Couvering should be "Shocked"
if he has been paying attention, which it appears he has not.  Of course
this is indicative of the ICANN board in general.

!Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:

> Fortune 500 ripe for cybersquatters
>
> More than half of the largest companies in the United States have
> failed to protect themselves in cyberspace. NameEngine.com, a company
> which registers Web domains and researches their ownership, reported
> Thursday 265 of the Fortune 500 own fewer of their domain names than
> do other companies and individuals. "I was shocked," said president
> Antony Van Couvering, who researched domain name registrations around
> the world. He found, for instance, American Express (AXP) has
> registered "americanexpress" in 19 countries, while in 11 others the
> registration belongs to somebody else. CBS has four of its own
> registrations, while other have 46, he said in an interview with
> CBS.MarketWatch.com. "On average, it costs about $50 to register a
> domain name, but anywhere from $10,000 to over $3 million to buy it
> back from a cybersquatter," he added. "It is at least 200 times
> cheaper to prevent, than to cure." Some of the best protected
> companies include Intel (INTC), with 104 registrations of its own,
> compared to other parties which have registered four.
>
> Companies which want to trademark their advertising slogans may be
> able to do so through Network Solutions' (NSOL) registration service.
> It will now accept domain names as long as 67 characters. Previously,
> there was a 23-character limit. "Now companies can register their
> slogans and products to drive traffic to their primary Web site," said
> senior vice president Doug Wolford. According to Network Solutions'
> data, the highest concentration of domain names are between 8 and 12
> characters. Approximately 45 percent of all domain names registered by
> Network Solutions fall in this range.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894