Re: [ga-full] RE: [ga] Proposal: WWW / slashdot

[cc's trimmed]

The United States has a long and honorable tradition of anonymous and
pseudonymous participation in public life.  It is a right that our courts
have said is guaranteed by the constitution against governmental attempts
to require identification. (Of course that is only applicable by analogy
to our list.) Many of the major essays leading up to the American
Revolution, and in the period after independence and before the adoption
of the Constitution were published pseudonymously - including the
Federalist Papers, which are part of our legal bedrock today.

I would be curious to know what the legal rule is in France - can the
government compel that political essays be signed with the name of the
author?

I personally reject the suggestion that anonymity and/or pseudonymity are
either bad or a sign of something evil to hide.  Indeed, they seem to me
to offer the only answer, however poor, to legitimate fears some people
have expressed (mostly off list) that controversial postings might lead to
direct retaliation against them personally.

For more on anonymity and pseudonymity see
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/ocean.htm

I would support allowing anonymous posting to the list.  Even some sort of
"identity escrow" to prevent multiple identities (which don't bother me,
but I know would bother others) would be preferable to a blanket
prohibition.

                        -->It's warm here.<--