No Subject

Sir:

Your comment below mischaracterizes what occurred and casts those of us who
recently unsubscribed to the GA list as obstinate objectors.

Several of us made constructive, alternative proposals to deal with
disruptors. One suggestion, for example, was a limit on the number of
messages per day which would force the more prodigious contributors to give
more thought to what they post.   I don't like message limits, but that
wouldn't be a rule which would cause me to unsubscribe to the list.
Message limits apply to all of us equally and are an effective means of
dealing with "expressions of nothing" (Roberto Gaetano's phrase) and
circumvent the need to monitor content.  Indeed, I have often seen someone
who has more time than good sense drown a list with a plethora of messages
and push input from others off to the periphery.  Your current rules will
not resolve this concern.

How can you speak of crafting a compromise when every suggestion that
diverged from the suggested rules was roundly criticized.   During the
debate on mailing list rules, I saw little evidence of an effort to find
common ground.

Please don't lay blame for lack of compromise on those of us who promoted
another approach or took issue with the direction in which you were headed.
There are differences of views here which apparently cannot be reconciled.
You are as steadfast in your stance as we are in ours.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote

>It is unfortunate that intellects such as Mr Auerbach, Mr Steinberg, Ms
>Barry and Ms Rony amongst others have departed the list.

[snip]

>Unfortunately, their stance has left me very little material from which to
>build a compromise.
>Their absolute stance that "no refusal to post anything from any list
>member, ever, is legitimate" isn't something that's easy to craft a
>compromise from.

Ellen Rony                    ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author                 ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1  415.435.5010          (oo) -^--               erony@marin.k12.ca.us
                              W   W
	   DOT COM is the PigLatin.com of the InformationAge.com.
  1999 Cyberserk Awards: http://www.domainhandbook.com/awards99.html