Re: [discuss] Re: What to do?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 03:03:04PM -0700, Cthulhu's Little Helper wrote:
[...]
> >> Comments?
> >
> >I would like to point out that if the GA becomes a voting body, then
> >it could elect NC members, and there would be no need for and IDNO.
> >Indeed, this is what I have proposed in the past.
>
> Really?  I got the distinct impression from the 6/25 meeting that
> the NC believes that the GA can vote on issues, and yet not have the
> power to elect reps to the NC.  I could be mistaken, but that's
> very much how it sounded to me.

I said "if" and "could".  It would require bylaw changes for either.
It is not mentioned in the current bylaws that the GA would
either vote on policies or elect NC members.

> (Actually, it sounded like, "You won't be able to vote in your own
> people on the NC, but you'll still get to vote on issues, and you
> should settle for that!")

I didn't get that.  In particular, it is the role of the NC to
"manage the consensus process".  It is not the role of the GA.  From
the perspective of the bylaws it isn't the role of the GA to come up
with procedures at all, or to vote on anything.