Re: [discuss] Individual representation

At 23:17 26/06/1999 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:

>The constituencies/GA/AL/SOs are designed to address what were viewed
>as coherent interests that should be represented.  This is not a
>mathematical structure, it is a human structure, and "should be
>represented" was defined mainly through the influence of the loudest
>voices.  You as another loud voice want to add yet more.  It won't
>make things any better.

I must take issue with this view. Nobody should be called loud, just
because an opposing argument is advanced.
Excluding people  who need representation because others would decide
*their* affairs otherwise, that is what makes things worse.

Sure the participants  are few, but all or most are here as representatives
and deserve to be treated as such. Even those who lose their temper from
time to time.
The least that ICANN should do is to allow  a proper structure to be
created in which all these "loud" voices can be heard and thus, cease to be
loud.
When the DNSO can function as this structure, and the loud voices
demonstrate that they have real constituencies, the people who form its GA
and its Names Council are not "capturing" it, they are being captured
(employed) by those they represent, to be their parlementarians and to
serve their constituencies and the Net as a whole.
That's the theory, at least.

>The framers of the US constitution were a bunch of self-interested
>wise old men went off in private for months and worked to develop a
>fairly coherent and simple structure.  It was *not* developed
>through a "transparent, fair, and open process".
>
>The ICANN formation process, on the other hand was constrained to be
>a product of the loudest voices.  Not surprising that it isn't quite
>as elegant.

It's todays  technology that helps make everything open and transparent. We
should end up creating something that is equally fair and even more elegant.
But rushing the structure through to quickly accommodate the pressures from
TM quarters and would-be unaccountable "non-profit" internet bureaucrats
would indeed produce something ugly.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org