Re: [discuss] Individual representation

On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 11:05:53PM -0800, Ellen Rony wrote:
> Randy Bush wrote:
>>
>>once more, as we seem to keep following red herrings.  the acacemic
>>community is welcome and encouraged to join the non-commercial constituency.
>>hence they do have a constituency and a voice.
>
> Who designated you the grand poobah of the NCDHC?

Who designated you the grand poobah of anything, either?

> As I recall, there is NO
> non-commercial constituency. and there has been no election.
>
> If ICANN allowed the business community to break out the trademark
> interests into a separate constituency, the academic community deserves the
> same  treatment.

No, they don't.  There is a huge and important difference, which is
that the TM people have actively participated in this for a long time
as a coherent powerful group, while the education community has not.
If they had, there would be an education constituency.  As it is, the
non-commercial constituency is primarily here because of the work and
influence of Christopher Wilkinson, who was a loud and influential
enough voice to make the case.

> TMOs have more in common with the business costituency
> than the academic community has with other non-commercial organizations and
> associations.  It's unfortunate that you fail to see the overarching
> parallels in these two situations.

I'm sure Randy sees the parallels.  It's just that they are irrelevant.