Re: [discuss] Individual representation

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:51:26 -0700, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
wrote:

>The danger an open-admission individual representation is capture.
>This is a very clear and present danger.  The ICANN membership
>committee recognized this problem, but their only solution was that
>the membership should be large.  Unfortunately, there is no evidence
>at all that these issues are important to more than a *tiny*
>population, and it just doesn't seem very likely that the membership
>of ICANN is going to be very large.  Therefore, any large corporation
>can capture the individual membership.  There is no significant
>defense.  Therefore, there should *never* be a situation where an
>open individual group can control more than half the board.

Sorry, Kent, but all I see here is a fear that it will not be captured
by those who support the CORE/ISOC/Trademark interests positions.  If
this constituency is formed without a core basis of being supportive
of your views, then in your eyes it has been "captured."

You say the likelihood of ICANNs membership being large is pretty low,
and that is about the same likelihood as the capture scenario you
present above.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

The Law is not your mommy or daddy to go crying
to every time you have something to whimper about.