[discuss] Re: NSI won't sign on with ICANN

Bill and all,

Bill Gerrard wrote:

> [In reference to "NSI won't sign on with ICANN"; By Courtney Macavinta;
> June 25, 1999, 1:55 p.m. PT;
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C38412%2C00.html?sas.mail]
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> Why does or should a domain registrar or registry by a for-profit entity?

  Simple, the government wanted them to be able to cost do registrations
on a cost recovery basis, so in 1997 I believe the NSF allowed NSI to become
a for profit company and do DN registration on a negotiated price.

  The real problem with the rift between NSI and the ICANN was clearly
stated in the article.
To WIt:
     "The crux of the conflict is that
     ICANN says Network Solutions is obligated to comply with its
     rules for new registrars, but NSI disagrees with ICANN's
     accreditation agreement, calling it a "nightmare" for its
     company and shareholders."

  I completely agree with NSI position in the particular regard.
I personally hope that NSI sticks to that position.

> Management of a public trust should be, and should have always been a
> not-for-profit operation.
>
> NSI probably wouldn't agree to that now since this is their "core business"
> (I thought I remember reading something on this list from someone at NSI
> stating that they do a lot more than just domain names).  If it would have
> been run as a not-for-profit from the beginning, I don't think we would be
> in this mess today, or would we?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894