Re: [discuss] FW: Re: S. 705

The support of the ACM Internet Governance Committee for an individual domain name
holders constituency was made clear in our proposal for a non-commercial
constituency in Berlin.

ACM-IGC did not address the method of constituency formation and recognition. In
my personal opinion, Antony makes a good point about the Paris draft having a
better approach to this problem. The current method does not encourage true
self-organization but fosters factionalism and allows the Board to play factions
off against each other.

I do not think Antony's swipe at Joop is justified. The IDNO was forced to deal
with the problem of how to handle the participation in IDNO of people whose stated
object was to oppose the formation of an individual's constituency. No other
constituency has had to deal with this problem. It created some awkwardness. The
group seems to have moved beyond that. Those problems should not be used against
the validity of forming an individuals' constituency, nor should they be used to
call into question the legitimacy of the IDNO as a nucleus for its formation.

The problems we have encountered in forming both the non-commercial constituency
and the individual constituency are both symptomatic of basic flaws in the
constituency-formation process articulated by ICANN. These flaws are most
detrimental to constituencies that attempt to represent smaller players who come
late to the table, as Randy Bush's prior post made clear.