Re: [discuss] Next Names Council Meeting

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 11:38:21PM +0000, William X. Walsh wrote:
> >
> > The problem here Javier is the propensity of people such as you to
> > consider any criticisms from those outside your own "thought camps" to
> > be "disruptive."
> >
> > Personally, I don't trust YOU to make that determination.
>
> In light of that statement, the attached message from Joop Teernstra
> on the idno list is most interesting.  I note that both Dave Crocker
> and myself *are* individual domain name owners, and fully entitled,
> by any definition, to participate in the list.  And I hardly need to
> point out that such behavior seriously undermines the credibility of
> the IDNO...hopefully Joop will realize that before too long.

  I just joined the IDNO mailing list.  As Joop or someone on that mailing
list is the administrator and as such can set some guidelines for
mailing list behavior, Joop is completely within his rights and responsibilities
to ask anyone to unsubscribe that is not meeting those behavior rules
and requirements.  It would however be in the IDNO's best interest to
outline those rules and requirements for the IDNO mailing list clearly
and concisely.

> [...]
> Dear IDNO Members,
> Luckily we already have a good voting system in place.  It is easy to
> go to the website and show our collective will again.
>
> I must ask you to consider ostracising two people who have invaded
> our list and who are trying to play a well-tried routine at the
> expense of our unity.  These people are known through their thousands
> of postings over the years of the DN wars.  For some, they *are* the
> DN wars.  Their postings are often disingenuous.  They are often
> impolite and in breach of good form.
>
> Take for example the way Mr Crispin barged in, demanding to know
> where the archives were.
>
> Or Mr Crocker, the list-guest who "does not necessarily agree" with
> us, demanding that the listowner ceases a thread on peacemaking with
> ISOC, demanding that the listowner ceases a thread on peacemaking
> with ISOC, "immediately".
>
> At this stage we are still extremely vulnerable.  We are still less
> than a hundred people who still have to come to a division of tasks
> to channel our energies to further the best interests of all
> Individual DN owners.  We cannot afford to have paid people in our
> midst who have only one goal and that is to thwart us in organizing a
> credible constituency.  And credible we will have to be.  You heard
> that from Mr Crocker, and in that, I'm afraid, he is right.
>
> He said other things that are right too, and that makes what he is doing
> so insidious.
> Since he himself professed that we are better off without these DNS
> wars on our list, he makes it easier for us to ask him to do the
> honourable thing and leave us in peace, doing what he tells us is
> good for us.
>
> I would like to ask Mr Crispin, who reposts private messages and
> insults listmembers, to do the same thing.
>
> I ask both of you to leave.  Please unsubscribe from idno.
>
> I am not silencing the discussion with you.  All our members are free
> to go I am not silencing the discussion with you.  All our members
> are free to go to the unmoderated ifwp list to continue the argument
> with you.  Just not on our construction-list.
>
> To back up my request I am asking for a second for this motion and
> then ask the idno members of this list to vote on the issue.  I hope
> you still remember login and password.  Otherwise, ask me privately.
>
> Please read again the article in computerwire.  It is in this context
> that I'm asking you to exercise your rights in our agora and to drop
> your ostrakon in the ballot box.
>
> Joop Teernstra
> terastra@imachination.com
> http://www.imachination.com

> I also note
> that generally it is considered polite to peruse the archives of a
> list so that one can come up to speed on the discussion...
> http://songbird.com/kent/idno/0000.htm
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894