From: Antonio Harris [mailto:harris@cabase.org.ar]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:45 PM
To: Thomas Keller; Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP; council@dnso.org
Cc: 'Mike Roberts (E-mail)'; 'Dan Halloran (E-mail)'; sabine@denic.de;
tom@schlund.de
Subject: Re: [council] Request to fellow Councilors for input and
suggestions to WHOIS Workshop Planning Committee

These are interesting comments!

Perhaps I can share a strange development
of affairs with you. Argentina has a personal
data privacy protection law in place. It has
now created a Directorate where databases
containing personal data must be duly registered.

The authorities recently visited our Association and
informed us that the obligation to register databases
is not confined to those databases that list personal
data for third parties to access, e.g. such as credit
bureau services, but it applies to each and every
database containing personal data - such is the
case of payroll, customer, supplier, employee, etc.
databases collected in any format, even non-digital.
A yearly fee of 30 dollars is applicable to each
registration, and each database is a separate
registration, even if a company has a hundred
databases. Additionally, obligations to ensure
databases are not hacked into must be complied
with, and also any new database that evolves from
the combination of existing (registered) databases
will require permission from the Directorate before
it is produced.

This is an example of how a well intentioned law can
evolve into a nightmare if officials become "creative"
about it.

To get to Milton's comment:
"Europe and the rest of the world will be
dragged into a globalized regime applied to the Internet
where their national laws have no application"

Perhaps this would not be so bad after all...

Tony Harris