ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[council]

RE: [council] Request for ICANN Board members from the GNSO toParticipate

Seems like a couple of good suggestions for me. Why don't we
"discuss" it online and if there is general agreement implement these
proposals at the next Council meeting?

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au> 06/06/03 04:23AM >>>

My suggestion is that we:
(1) invite the GNSO elected Board members to listen-in on GNSO Council
meetings, but not participate in procedural or policy development
discussions (ie they will not have the same rights as the GAC or ALAC
liaisons)
[NOTE the invitation would be a courtesy as Board members can listen to
GNSO Council meetings anyway]

(2) schedule an item on the agenda for GNSO Council meetings for a
dialogue with the GNSO elected Board members, where the Board members
may request clarification of GNSO Council discussions, and the GNSO
Council members may request clarification/updates of Board activities.

This way we keep a clear separation between the role of a Board member
and the role of a Council member, but ensure that the Board members may
listen to the debate surrounding issues, and also seek clarification on
GNSO decisions.

I am not sure that we need to pass a formal motion, as (1) is already
available, and (2) is an issue of agenda scheduling.