From: Milton Mueller [mailto:Mueller@syr.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:47 PM
To: mcade@att.com; council@dnso.org; Jeff.Neuman@Neustar.us
Cc: mmr@darwin.ptvy.ca.us; sabine@denic.de; tom@schlund.de
Subject: RE: [council] Registrant Representation in WHOIS Workshop

If Jeff is too shy to nominate himself for a slot, I will; or at least,
move to allow the registries to put forward someone to address the
technical and business costs of various policy alternatives.

That information is crucial.

It would be better if there were a well-known independent expert
in the technology/economics of registries; as Marilyn and I know from
telecom policy debates, intra-industry haggling over the costs
assigned to regulatory requirements can go on forever. However,
people like me who have done cost/economic studies of the
domain name industry have not had access to commercially
sensitive business data, so analysis has had to stay at a more
abstract level. And there are lots of good technical people but
they may not know the economics. So we may need an industry
insider, and just be mindful of the bias potential.

>>> "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@Neustar.us> 06/11/03 12:21PM >>>
Often times, courts have
ordered registries to do things that are beyond their technical and legal
capabilities with respect to Whois (and UDRP as well).  We believe that this
may stems from a lack of understanding about the roles and capabilities of
the registries (especially the thick registries).