ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[council]

[council] NCUC's position to Whois TF report

Dear NC members and Whois TF members,

We, NCUC, were recently told that Ruchika Agrawal, our representative for
Whois TF, expressed her dissending opinion on the TF's accuracy policy
recommendation because the TF has not only failed to adequately address
privacy issues, but also failed to reflect several suggestions made by
commenters.

We, as NCUC, confirm that her position is definitely representing our
constituency's official position and hope that such an opinion could be
deliberately and cautiously noted and taken into account so as to make
more mature and consensus policy on whois issue. The privacy concern on
whois policy, one of the major concerns for our constituency, has
frequently been expressed in our members' public comments and even in NC
conferences. Therefore, if this concern is not to be sorted out
appropriately, we could hardly endorse such policy. We hope that TF
members would think over this aspect once more deliberately because now
privacy issue is truly a significant concern of all domain name users and
it is closely related with very real threats to people's lives.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2166-2216
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun@peacenet.or.kr