ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[council]

[council] Update to Proposed process to elect ICANN Board seats 13 and 14

  • To: <council@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [council] Update to Proposed process to elect ICANN Board seats 13 and 14
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:08:03 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

Hello All,

The proposed procedure previously posted as below does not describe the actual voting procedure during the 14 day email vote.

Under the ICANN by-laws:
(http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-15dec02.htm#X)
"The GNSO Council shall make selections to fill Seats 13 and 14 on the ICANN Board by written ballot or by action at a meeting; any such selection must have the affirmative votes of a majority of all the members of the GNSO Council. Notification of the GNSO Council's selections shall be given by the GNSO Chair in writing to the ICANN Secretary, consistent with Article VI, Sections 8(4) and 12(1)."

This means that if we have an 18 member council, then we would require 10 affirmative votes to elect a director.

The procedure for voting is thus a convention style vote:
(from http://www.dnso.org/elections/2002.DNSO-ICANN-voting-proc.html)

* Each GNSO council member votes for one nominee.
* The nominees are ranked by the number of votes received, and the GNSO Council is informed of the result.
* The lowest vote-getting nominee is eliminated from the list. [For the first round, all nominees receiving zero votes *and* the lowest vote-getting nominee are eliminated from the list.]
* The procedure is repeated with the new (reduced) list.
* A winner is declared when a nominee receives affirmative votes of a majority of all the members of the GNSO Council.
* In order to reduce the number of rounds of voting, the NC might eliminate the *two* lowest vote-getting nominees after each round (until such time as three nominees remain, at which point the *one* lowest vote-getting nominee is eliminated).

The procedure below allows for 14 days for this procedure to complete.
It will ultimately depend on the number of candidates and the speed at which Council members vote, as to whether this is achievable.  However we should try to complete the vote within 14 days.

Once we know the number of candidates we may revise the process.  e.g rounds of voting may need to occur on consecutive days.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin