ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[council]

[council] ICANN Board Elections

Dear Louis

We are seeking clarification on the process for establishing the new Board
and the term of office of the first New Board members.

We understand from the transition articles that the ambition is to have
elected or appointed at least ten of seats 1 through 14 on the New Board by
the Rio meeting of the Transitional Board, which will then determine the
date of the first New Board meeting. The yet-to-be-formed nominating
committee is expected to nominate seats 1-8, the ASO seats 9 and 10, the
putative CCSO seats 11 and 12, and the GNSO seats 13 and 14. We also
understand that the terms of office of the new board are subject to
transition procedures to allow for rotations of the three year terms.

Some of the questions that we would like clarified include:
1. If 10 seats are filled before Rio, is the ambition then to have the New
Board sit in Rio and the transition Board to be dissolved in its entirety at
Rio?
2. If 10 seats are not filled by Rio, will the transition board then
continue until such time as 10 seats are filled?

3. For the GNSO seats 13 and 14 we note the regular term does not START
until 6 months after the ICANN AGMs of 2003 and 2004 (say March 2004, March
2005). The transition article suggests that the initial election will elect
members with terms that END at these start points. Is it expected that seat
13 will therefore sit only from say Rio (March 2003) until say March 2004?
This means that seat 13 member will have an initial term of 12 months or
less. And the seat 14 member an initial term of 24 months or less.
Subsequent terms will be 3 years for both seats 13 and 14. Could you please
spell this out to ensure we have got it (will get it) right.

4. Do you expect the number of votes cast to determine which is seat 13 and
which 14 ?

5. What will be the processes and terms for seats, etc to be filled by other
SO's?

6. Will it be yourself who will oversee the process?

The BC reps, and we expect our fellow GNSO council members, would greatly
appreciate your providing a clarifying explanation of all aspects of the
status and process for the Board elections.

Thanking you in advance,
Grant Forsyth, Marilyn Cade, Philip Shepard
BC Representatives on the ICANN GNSO