December 2002 I was appointed as chair of the GNSO.
From: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021219.GNSOteleconf-minutes.htm
"Decision 2: Bruce Tonkin is Chair of the GNSO Council until the
convening of the March GNSO meeting or until his successor is appointed,
whichever is later."

At the council meeting on 20 Feb 2003, I agreed to wait until the
council had completed the election of for board seats #13 and #14,
before organising an election for the GNSO chair.
From: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20030220.GNSOteleconf-minutes.html
"Bruce Tonkin agreed to arrange an election for the GNSO chair after the
elections for seats 13 and 14 on the Board, but would hold it earlier if
requested by the GNSO council."

Given that the election for seats 13 and 14 is nearly complete, it is
now appropriate to attend to the matter of the GNSO Chair.

There are three options as I see them for election of the GNSO chair at
this point in time.

(1) Elect a chair for a 6 month period consistent with the old names
council rules of procedure:
From: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021230.GNSOprocedures.html
"The NC Chair will be elected by the members of the NC by simple
majority vote and will hold office for a period of six months. One
renewal, subject to a fresh vote, of six months will be allowed. A
retiring Chair will not be eligible for re-election for a period of one
year. "

(2) Elect a chair for a 12 month period consistent with the new ICANN
by-laws.
From: http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#X
Article X: Section 3(7)
"The GNSO Council shall select the GNSO Chair, for a term the GNSO
Council specifies but not longer than one year, by written ballot or by
action at a meeting. Any such selection must have affirmative votes
comprising a majority of the votes of all the members of the GNSO
Council."

(3) Elect a chair until the conclusion of the ICANN annual meeting in
2003.
This would align the chair with the terms of the current GNSO Council
members.
From: http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#XX
Article XX: Section 5(6)
"The terms of the GNSO Council members described in paragraph 5 of this
Section 5 shall last for the remainder of their terms under the Old
Bylaws, except that the terms of all of those GNSO Council members shall
end at the conclusion of the ICANN annual meeting in 2003"

I personnally recommend that the GNSO Council select option (3).
Thus the chair could be elected by the current members of the GNSO
Council until the end of the ICANN annual meeting in 2003.  At that time
it would be appropriate for the new council (including the nominating
committee appointees), to elect a chair.  I would recommend that the
chair be appointed for a 1 year term at that time.

If the GNSO Council decides on 22 May 2003 to go with option 3, then I
recommend the following steps:
(1) 7 day nomination period starting on 22 May - any GNSO council member
may nominate a member of the GNSO Council to be chair.  The nominated
Council member must agree to the nomination.
(2) A 14 day email voting period
(3) Ratify the vote at the council meeting in Montreal

DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
- I am prepared to stand for election should I be nominated by a GNSO
council member.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin