[council]

RE: [council] Key Challenges and Opportunities for the GNSO

Tony
The ENUM sessions at ICANN were really aimed at raising awareness and
ensuring those involved in that community understand the issue well enough
to be able to differentiate fact from fiction. There's so much hype and
misinformation around on ENUM, it even makes ICANN activities look simple!

In recognising that and giving the subject air time, the Board provided a
platform for initial discussion and gave an undertaking that progress will
be monitored with an update likely to be given at an ICANN meeting next
year.

At this stage that is all that's needed. I don't believe there's any need
for the GNSO to add this to their agenda, or for that matter any additional
action required within ICANN at all. We already have the IETF, RIRs, ITU,
ETSI, National Administrations and numerous spin off national based
activities underway. Quite amazing  for a simple protocol development that's
still to prove its worth in the commercial environment.

Time may well prove the point you raise and if ENUM blossoms to its full
potential there may well be some aspects the GNSO wish to discuss, but at
this stage I don't see any reason to include any reference to ENUM.

 Tony