From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au>
To: <council@dnso.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 11:41 PM
Subject: [council] Key Challenges and Opportunities for the GNSO

> Hello All,
>
> I have been contacted by the Chair of the Nominating Committee to provide
a statement on the key challenges and opportunities for the GNSO over the
next 1.5 to 2.5 years.

> This statement will be posted on the nominating committee webpage and used
to help with the selection process for the 3 additional members of the GNSO
council.

> Here are what I think the challenges/issues are.  I would welcome input
before I forward to the nominating committee:

> - maintain a competitive environment for the provision of gtld domain name
services
> - ensure appropriate privacy and accuracy policies for the collection,
distribution and public display of registrant contact information
> - provide consumer protection mechanisms for gtld domain name holders
(such as the redemption grace period)
> - provide low cost dispute resolution mechanisms for the allocation of
gtld domain names (such as UDRP)
> - introduction of internationalised domain names
> - introduction of new tlds
> - roll out of IPv6 addresses for use with domain names
> - support innovation in domain name services (such as different mechanisms
to allocate domain names after expiry) whilst operational stability,
reliability, security, and global interoperability, maintenance of a
competitive environment for domain name services, and consumer protection of
domain name holders
> - encourage the use of IETF standards for registry-registrar protocols
(such as EPP), internationalised domain names, DNS name resolution, and
registrant contact data formats

> I think the above is consistent with the ICANN Core values from:
> http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#I
>
> 1. Preserving and enhancing the operational stability, reliability,
security, and global interoperability of the Internet.

> 2. Respecting the creativity, innovation, and flow of information made
possible by the Internet by limiting ICANN's activities to those matters
within ICANN's mission requiring or significantly benefiting from global
coordination.

> 3. To the extent feasible and appropriate, delegating coordination
functions to or recognizing the policy role of other responsible entities
that reflect the interests of affected parties.

> 4. Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the
functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all levels
of policy development and decision-making.

> 5. Where feasible and appropriate, depending on market mechanisms to
promote and sustain a competitive environment.

> 6. Introducing and promoting competition in the registration of domain
names where practicable and beneficial in the public interest.

> 7. Employing open and transparent policy development mechanisms that (i)
promote well-informed decisions based on expert advice, and (ii) ensure that
those entities most affected can assist in the policy development process.

> 8. Making decisions by applying documented policies neutrally and
objectively, with integrity and fairness.

> 9. Acting with a speed that is responsive to the needs of the Internet
while, as part of the decision-making process, obtaining informed input from
those entities most affected.

> 10. Remaining accountable to the Internet community through mechanisms
that enhance ICANN's effectiveness.

> 11. While remaining rooted in the private sector, recognizing that
governments and public authorities are responsible for public policy and
duly taking into account governments' or public authorities'
recommendations.