From: Milton Mueller [mailto:Mueller@syr.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 5:09 PM
To: gpineiro@derecho.org.ar
Cc: council@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [council] About my question...

Gabriel:

I am not sure Barbara can get messages to this list,
so I will answer.

By "minimum" policy making we mean that
ICANN should stick to technical coordination as much as
possible and avoid linking its control of Internet identifiers
to other policy issues.

For example, when ICANN imposes accuracy requirements
on WHOIS records, it is not acting as a technical coordinator,
it is trying to make life easier for trademark protectors.
That may or may not be a worthwhile goal, but it goes far
beyond technical administration of the DNS and involves
setting policy about privacy, intellectual property, and
law enforcement.

So, a "minimal" ICANN is one that focuses on
technical administration of names and numbers,
regardless of what happens in other domains,
whereas a "maximum" ICANN is one that
uses its control of name and number management
to regulate user conduct, protect rights to names,
regulate registry prices, and so on.

>>> Gabriel Piņeiro <gpineiro@derecho.org.ar> 03/11/03 01:59PM >>>
Names Council Members:
Hello! What I mean with "minimum" minutes ago is what Barbara Simons mean
with
"ICANN doing MINIMUM policy making" and what should it be specificly that
"minimum policy making". Or at least that what's I understand she said, I'm
not very used to this teleconferences yet (but don't worry, my
reading/writing skills are much better) Sorry for the inconvinience to all
Council Members. Best wishes, Gabriel.

Ps. Basicaly? I blame the languague barrier ;-)