[council]

RE: [council] Proposed teleconference to interview the candidates for ICANN Board seat #14

Bruce, this is an excellent suggestion. I am happy to offer to sponsor a bridge with sufficient ports to allow constituencies to listen in, in addition to the Council members.

Let me first be clear to all concerned. While there is a CBUC representative standing for Board election, we are taking appropriate steps to segregate all relevant communications, and to create a neutral environment where all candidates will be treated equally in access to the constituency for information and discussion.  All can be assured that the CBUC will respect strict rules in communications, voting, etc. to support the full integrity of the election process.

Back to the opportunity to communicate with candidates for the Council.

 This is a great option and supports a more effective use of the candidates time!

If you would like, I will sponsor the bridge for the call at the time suggested.

If there is a need for more than one time slot, I will also sponsor a second bridge.

I agree with your suggestion that Glen record the call and make it available as usual in a short time frame.

I suggest that candidates post their c.v./bio and any written statements ahead of time.

A recommended approach to statements would be to ask candidates to respond to the criteria as outlined in the nomination process. This can provide a uniform backdrop. I suggest that all candidates also address their support of the ICANN Mission statement and the core values.

One approach for your consideration: for all candidates:
Please describe your vision for ICANN.
Please describe your support for the ICANN Mission.
Then: What comments do you have on the Core values?

In addition, from the BC perspective, we support having all candidates to disclose all funding they have received, or will receive from any present ICANN entity or any entity seeking to influence ICANN; that would include foundation's funding for travel, participation, etc. All candidates should disclose any travel reimbursement, speaking sponsorship, compensation, etc. from any ICANN affected or interested entity. For an existing Board member, that could include reimbursement from ICANN for travel to board meetings.  I think that includes that an employee or consultant to an association or company would state that their participation is reimbursed by their employer. For instance, a candidate might disclose that they are a present board member and their employer reimbursed two trips, and ICANN reimbursed two trips. NOTE: made up example] If they are being compensated on behalf of an industry organization to participate in for example, the Council, that reimbursement should be disclosed. If they are being reimbursed, or are participating pro bono because of financial benefit, that should be disclosed.  If multiple relationships exist, disclose.   If they are receiving reimbursement for travel to meetings, privation, etc. of a constituency, disclose. IF a non profit organization has reimbursed for attendance, participation, etc., disclose. I suspect that most candidates, in spite of some sponsorship, may have spent personal funds. This simple straightforward approach simply clears the air and eliminates any mystery or mystique.

All candidates should state, for the record, that they have no relationships, affiliations, nor obligations which would limit their ability to vote, that they have not disclosed. All candidates who might need to recluse themselves from voting on decisions, should identify that, and acknowledge their full commitment to stand out of such votes.

This will provide the  most transparent and valid process to the election, which is what we should strive for. And prevent any challenges to the process, or the elections.

Most of the disclosures should be provided by email statements.

Tanks, Bruce, for your leadership. MC