[council]

RE: [council] On Board elections:some unsolicited advice

I read with interest Amadeu,s unsolicited advice to which I will add an
unsolicited reply.
First let me say that Amadeu is a very good example of the level of
honesty,and integrity of the ICANN Board.However it was chosen and
regardless of origins the vast majority of Board members have been hard
working,even handed, and supportive of ICANN and the Internet,s best
interests not their own or their constituency.Amadeu has always spoken out
honestly even when his view was not popular if he felt his thoughts needed
to be considered...that is in the best tradition of a non-profit Board
Member.I am proud to have served with Amadeu.
I am not sure if I will seek re-election.I am willing to serve a further
term butI have long felt that there was no point in seeking election unless
there was  support from the community/Names Council for my staying on the
Board for a short while longer to provide some continuity.However, absent
some clear signal that I am wanted I will not contest a seat.

 I have served with pleasure almost 4 years and it has been a
challenging,enlightening, exciting and some times very frustrating
experience that frankly I am very grateful for having experienced.The
support and confidence of the GNSO(DNSO) and the Names Council and the
constituencies throughout my term was so helpful and very much appreciated.

I agree with Amadeu that the way the DNSO/GNSO chooses Board members needs
to be reconsidered.The electors are a very small number of people spread
around the world.Knowing them or having worked with them is a great (too
great?) advantage to a candidate.The Names Council is divided into
'constituencies' and there is political manouevering to "Get a seat on the
Board for your own Constituency" and real frustration on the part of some
(Non-Com) that feels it can never make alliances to achieve this so it isnt
really fully participating.All of this is understandable perhaps 'normal'BUT
is is the best solution or result for the GNSO or the INTERNET?! I believe
that this should be discussed at some length when there is not the pressure
of an election staring the GNSO in the face...for now I accept that the
suggestions for elections 'on the table' may be reasonable and that there is
not time to thoroughly consider any significant new appraoch.I would be
pleased to work with the Names Council whether re-elected or not to look for
alternatives for its consideration over the last 6 months of 2003.

I agree with Amadeu that we were lucky that the bulk of Directors chosen  so
far have been of very good calibre and have disassociated their role as
Directors from any allegiance to a particular constituency.This is essential
for the Board to operate effectively, as it should, in the best interests of
the Internet.
..Certainly,The Board needs a number of members who have a good technical
understanding of the Internet and IANA , the root server system and the DNS
BUT it also needs people who have political skills,Legal knowledge,Business
experience ,Connections to Academia and the non-commercial community and the
"At- Large"..(even Intellectual Property experience has proven very helpful
on many occasions)to provide a balance and full picture of the framework in
which the Policy decisions of the Board are taken.
Do we need a new Board...yes.Does or should that mean a "Clean sweep"
...No...The next year is a very important year for ICANN.It must
successfully satisfy the DOC in relation to its obligations under the MOU by
September,it must complete the transition process and make real progress on
substantive matters such as IANA,At Large,CCNSO and relations with the ccTLD
Managers and the RIR,s ,IDN etc.There will be a strong need for some
experience and leadership on the Board to assist the new Board with these
urgent and important tasks.The idea that current Board members equals "More
of the same old ICANN" is not a valid argument it is just a catch phrase .As
you all know,Some Directors have been excellent and we should all hope they
are willing to continue to serve,others are tired and wish to step down and
a few others should perhaps not be returned.The key is to end up with a
Board that understands its mission and can get it done.A lot of the things
that prevented the Board from getting more done have been taken care of and
hopefully this Reform Process will be anotherlubricant for getting
substantive work done.
There must be geographical diversity of Board Members..it is
mandated.......Good sense and experience tells me that the same diversity
should extend to having some people on the Board from diverse backgrounds
with maturity, proven ability,committment to ICANN and above all, committed
to the best interests of the Internet, not a personal agenda or strong
allegiance to a particular 'group'/'point of view'.
In my view,right now we need about half the Board with Board experience and
then a constant turnover at regular intervals over the next 36 months that
allows for a continuing balance between new fresh Board members and those
with experience.
The Names Council has made great progress since I was on it (hope that is
not self indictment)I am confident it will entirely fulfil its potential
under this new ICANN 2 and would be pleased to assist in any way
,again.whether re-elected or not.
with best regards
Jonathan