[council] New gTLDs committee - timeline
at the Council meeting January 17 the following agreements were made:
a. To respond to the Board request to make a recommendation on new gTLDs.
b. To do so via a committee of the whole, comprising all GNSO Council members plus (if available) a liaison from the At-Large with observer status. This group is hereafter referred to as the "gTLD committee."
c. To appoint Philip Sheppard, past NC Chair, as the chair of this committee.
d. To ask the chair to recommend a process and time line for responding to the Board request.
The rest of this message responds to point (d).
The Task (terms of reference)
At the Board meeting in Amsterdam 2002, the Board approved an Action Plan regarding moving forward on new gTLDs. As part of that resolution the Board requested the GNSO " to provide a recommendation by such time as shall be mutually agreed by the President and the Chair of the GNSO Names Council on whether to structure the evolution of the generic top level namespace and, if so, how to do so." This was in response to part III of the Action Plan: http://www.icann.org/committees/ntepptf/new-gtld-action-plan-18oct02.htm#III
Proposed time line
Working as a committee of the whole and on such an issue is an exceptional case and does not seem compatible with the aggressive time lines of the policy development process intended for narrower issues. I have tried to balance a fixed time line with the need for regular constituency consultation, and to interpose meetings between regular Council meetings. The timelines are realistic based on the achievability of working as a "committee of the whole" in the past. We have indicative results for Rio and a final report by May, which I hope fits with the Board needs on this challenging issue. There can be lots of work by e-mail in between meetings.
1. 20 January. gTLD committee chair calls for Constituency positions latest 1 March 2003.
2. First committee telephone conference 6 February 2003 14.00 UTC (alignment work plan, strategy).
(Progress report for GNSO council 20 February).
3. Second committee telephone conference 6 March 2003 14.00 UTC (discussion of constituency positions).
4. Initial report compiling individual constituency opinions prepared for Rio (information basis).
(Progress report for GNSO Council at Rio 25? March). (Special session of the committee?)
5. Third committee telephone conference 10 April 2003 14.00 UTC (alignment on consensus view, preparation of preliminary report).
(Progress report for GNSO Council 24 April).6. Preliminary report comments by 30 April.
7. Fourth committee telephone conference 8 May 2003 14.00 UTC (review of comments, preparation final report).
8. Final report presented for adoption GNSO Council 22 May.
Your comments to this time line and process are most welcome.