ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[council]

Re: [council] Current procedures for choosing TF chair

Phillip:

I apologize for the delay in responding to you, and think that generally the
process for selecting TF chairs is quite reasonable.  However, the current
requirement that the TF chair be a member of the NC is something that we may
want to reconsider.  Let me explain the rationale behind this suggestion.

First, as some members of the NC pointed out during our discussions relating
to representation in the new GNSO, sometimes there are significant time
demands placed on NC members.  The requirement that TF chairs must be NC
reps only exacerbates this problem.  I'm sure that the NC members that
currently chair TF can attest to the huge amount of work required in such a
role.  We should allow the TF to consider the relative workloads of all its
members and select the member most able to provide the time required for the
role.

Second, constituencies often nominate those that are not NC members to serve
on the TF in order to get those that are truly experts to serve on the Task
Forces.  If one of them would like to, and has the time and expertise to
want to chair, he or she should be given the chance.

Finally, I think it's important that we enable a broad spectrum of the
Internet community to participate in the policy formation process.  We ought
to be encouraging diversity of participation, and relaxing this restriction
is one way of doing so.

I'm looking forward to discussing this issue on Thursday.

Thanks,

Jordyn