From: owner-council@dnso.org [mailto:owner-council@dnso.org]On Behalf Of
Elisabeth Porteneuve
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:33 PM
To: council@dnso.org
Subject: [council] Fwd: The proposed ccNSO Assistance Group

Fyi.
From: "Peter Dengate Thrush" <barrister@chambers.gen.nz>
To: "'Alejandro Pisanty'" <apisan@servidor.unam.mx>, <reform@icann.org>
Cc: <cctld-adcom@wwtld.org>, <cctld-discuss@wwtld.org>,
        "Nancy Victory" <nvictory@ntia.doc.gov>,
        "Robin Layton" <rlayton@ntia.doc.gov>, <ga@dnso.org>,
<lynn@icann.org>
Subject: [ga] The proposed ccNSO Assistance Group
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:36:59 +1200

Dear Alex,

The adcom has been approached by the North American and South American
representatives with the news that your committee has privately requested
that they agree to serve on an Assistance Group your committee is proposing
to form. A copy of  one of your invitation letters is pasted below.

You will understand how confusing and even distressing this is to us, as you
undertook in two conversations with us, when we proposed the formation of
such a group to you, that you would have further discussions with us on a
number of matters. One of those was the formation of such a group, in which
case we had suggested that the Adcom or its nominees would be the
appropriate cctld representatives. A second issue was the nature of the
mandate of any such group, and in particular its ability to "bridge" the
current gap between the ccSO designed after a bottom-up process by the
cctlds, and the ccNSO proposed in the Blueprint apparently without reference
to the cctld consensus.

The two representatives of the adcom you have approached have indicated to
us that they need Adcom approval if they are to accept your invitations to
serve.

We understand because of the time pressure placed on them in your request,
several may have already provided you with an answer, before our
deliberations on this have concluded.
If the matter is as urgent as your behaviour indicates, we wonder why there
has been silence from you since our calls last month, and why you are yet to
reply to our follow up enquiry of August 30.

To allow Adcom to make a decision on the matter, and to advise the other
cctld
managers we understand you have also privately approached, we ask for
answers to the following questions:

1. Do you intend to continue discussing the formation of an assistance group
with the cctld representatives, or are those discussions discontinued on
your part?

2. Which cctld managers have you picked to be on your group, and what are
the principles by which that selection was made?

3. Which other non- cctld representatives have you thought it appropriate to
add to your  group, and what are the criteria you have developed and applied
in your selection process?

4. What is the mandate of the assistance group, and particularly, is
bridging the gap between the cctld consensus position and the Blueprint
ruled out?

You will understand the temptation for the Adcom to regard this group as a
top down device, cynically designed to provide evidence of support for the
Blueprint from a constituency of ICANN that has publicly opposed several
major features of the Blueprint. You will understand the dilemma your
conduct poses to cctlds, who in the main continue to be supporters of a
White paper principles-based ICANN, and who oppose your procedures and
conclusions but nevertheless wonder whether it might be appropriate to take
one more (possibly final) chance to contribute to the shared ideal.

The difficulty they face is in accepting appointment to a position which
seems
to be limited to implementing something the cctlds have articulated clear
consensus disagreement with.

The answers to our questions will be of assistance in advising our members,
and we look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

ccTLD adcom