[council]

RE: [council] Observers at NC meetings

I must say that I do not agree with Cary's recommendations. I believe that the
NC reps must be elected as representatives and will have to upon some occasions
make judgments. In most circumstances, consultation time is available to the
NC reps... of course, we are all very busy people, and that consultation  is
time consuming.  We all understand that.

I see a different problem and it needs to be dealt with within each constituency.
that is what an effective consultation process is which can work for them needs further
development -- after all, this is a young process.  Folks, we all seem to keep forgetting
that. Each of the constituencies is still developing effective models, it seems to me, and
they will vary constituency by constituency. And, given the evolution process underway, perhaps
constituencies will be considering what adjustments they need to make in their internal
processes.

However, a different point:  Policy development which affects the global Internet is complex,
even, or especially in the limited but critical areas of ICANN's responsibility -- it is different than merely
getting in a room and negotiating what works for one's individual constituency, but
requires understanding and support for outcomes which benefit the broader Internet interests
while reflecting the balance of views and interests of the participants in the SO.

And, no, in my view, the responsibilty for that is not solely at the Board level.

I hope we all consider that.