[council]

[council] Nominating Committee & at-large

I may have not been as clear as I should be in one of my statements
during today's call, concerning the relationship between a
nominating committee and an at-large membership, so let me try to
clarify this a bit more.

1. It is safe to assume that most of the GA's members (certainly
most of its active ones) would clearly favor direct at-large
elections over any nominating (or rather: selection) committee
approach.

2. Since that doesn't seem to be feasible at this point of time,
reserving a number of board seats for an at-large membership, and
having the selection committeee fill these seats as a stop-gap
measure, is certainly preferable over assigning these seats to a
selection committee for all future, effectively eliminating even the
notion of an at-large membership.

3. In order to make such an arrangement more than just a
lip-service, the reservation of board seats for an at-large
membership would have to have some teeth - for instance, a bylaws
provision which mandates at-large elections at a well-defined point
of time in the future, provided certain factual conditions are
fulfilled.  Bad enough, it seems unlikely to me that the current
board would even consider such a change.

4. Maybe having some kind of open election for some (or even all?
;-) members of the selection committee may be the way to go for at
least some at-large membership representation within the structure
currently proposed.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/